[mrtg] Cammer with old Catalyst 5000 - need workaround

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Fri Oct 11 17:11:40 MEST 2002

I've been running a hacked up version of cammer for about a month.  The
other day I noticed that a mac that had been around for months was not
showing up in the table.  A little digging and I found  cisco bug
CSCdp80044, which essentially says that the sparse table array that cammer
uses was completely hosed in earlier versions of CatOS - you can poll
individual mac addresses just fine, but you can't walk the table with any
hope of real answers.  For example, show cam dynamic 2 on a certain switch
shows 118 mac addresses in vlan 2, while snmpwalk -c public\@2 -m BRIDGE-MIB
192.168.0.1 dot1dTpFdbPort yields only 32 addresses, and they don't really
match - some of them end up being from different vlans.  I can do an snmpget
on any of the 118 addresses and get the information, I just can't walk it.
The only saving grace is that most of the addresses show up under other
community-based indexes, but I don't currently poll all 1005 vlans, and I'm
not certain if I would get them all even then....

So...  I've got a pile of 5500s running 4.5.13a.  I can't upgrade them
because they don't have enough memory, and even if I could managability
isn't a good enough reason to take them out of production by itself.  I'm
getting ready to re-write cammer to check every address from the ARP table
individually, but before I did that I wanted to check if anyone had done it
before so I don't have to re-invent the wheel.

Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CNX
Lan/Wan Integrator
Austin Energy
1.512.322.6739