[mrtg] Doubts on traffic monitoring

Marco De Vitis marco.dvv at libero.it
Tue Oct 15 15:26:56 MEST 2002

Hello,
I'd like to use MRTG to see how much Internet traffic is going through
our ADSL router, a RAD LA-140. I'm forced to use a Win98 machine as
monitoring client.

I followed the guide, and everything went smoothly, but I have some
questions to understand if everything is working as it should.

First of all, a very general question: I'm interested in knowing how
much data do we download each day, on average. But MRTG graphs show
max/avg/current values for bandwith usage, in bytes per second; does
this mean that, if I want to know how many bytes we download each day on
average, I can multiply the MRTG average value for 60 (to get
bytes/minute), then for 60 again (to get bytes/hour), then for 24 (to
get bytes/day)? Is this the right thing to do for my need? (please put
aside the fact that I can directly multiply for 86400, of course ;))

Then comes the real question.
We have no access to the router config and features, we have not even
been given a manual. Luckily, CFGMAKER was able to access it without
particular problems. The strange fact is that CFGMAKER found TWO
interfaces, with the following ifTypes:

interface 2, ifType: ethernetCsmacd (6)
interface 102, ifType: Asymetric Digital Subscriber Loop (ADSL) (94)

I would expect my interface of interest to be the number 102, but its
graphs show absolutely nothing! Zero traffic. I also tried raising the
MaxBytes parameter to huge values.

Interface 2, instead, shows some ingoing and outgoing traffic. Anyway I
didn't notice a real match between the graphs and the activity... the
bytes/s values were always very low, hundreds or few thousands of
bytes/s, even when I was downloading at 100 kbytes/s, and sometimes they
didn't even change.
I'm afraid this could be the intranet traffic... is it possible? Anyway,
I didn't notice any match with it, either: I tried running MRTG once,
then transferring lots of data between PCs, then running MRTG again, and
nothing changed. I would not expect the values to change, after all, as
the intranet traffic should NOT reach the router, as it is rerouted by
the various switches before reaching it... right?

Maybe there's another possibility: that router also routes VOICE
traffic; the digital phone lines pass through it. So... maybe I'm now
monitoring voice traffic?? Is it possible?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, I really need them.

Ciao,
  Marco.
--
..."Stupid Dream", Porcupine Tree 1999