[mrtg] MRTG 2.9.17 w/LoadMIBs option

nate mrtg at aphroland.org
Wed Oct 16 08:06:46 MEST 2002

greetings

I am trying to use MRTG with the LoadMIBs option, while I've been
using MRTG for years I haven't tried this option before. Specifically
I am trying to load the MIBs for squid ..

sample config:

WorkDir:/home/mrtg/public_html/squid/
LoadMIBs: /usr/lib/squid/mib.txt

Target[squid.cache.client.usage]:
"squid.cachePerf.cacheProtoStats.cacheMedianSvcTable.cacheMedianSvcEntry.cacheMedianTime.5:public at localhost:3401"Title[squid.cache.client.usage]:Client IP Accesses
PageTop[squid.cache.client.usage]: <H1>Cache Statistics: # of Client IPs
accessing cache</H1>
LegendI[squid.cache.client.usage]: Client Accesses
LegendO[squid.cache.client.usage]:
Legend1[squid.cache.client.usage]: Client Accesses
Legend2[squid.cache.client.usage]:
YLegend[squid.cache.client.usage]:
MaxBytes[squid.cache.client.usage]: 100
Options[squid.cache.client.usage]: gauge

but even running strace -fF mrtg <filename> results in not even a single
mib access.. that is:

strace -fF mrtg squid.conf2 >&/tmp/squid.out
grep -i mib /tmp/squid.out

nothing comes back..so that tells me it's not even trying to load
the file ??

I have a buncha other squid variables that seem to work fine(without the
MIB).

also I have tested this MIB with snmpwalk, it does NOT work unless I
load the MIB:

snmpwalk -m /usr/lib/squid/mib.txt -Ci -p 3401 -IR localhost public
squid.cachePerf.cacheProtoStats.cacheMedianSvcTable.cacheMedianSvcEntry.cacheHttpAllSvcTime.5enterprises.nlanr.squid.cachePerf.cacheProtoStats.cacheMedianSvcTable.cacheMedianSvcEntry.cacheHttpAllSvcTime.5=15

snmpwalk -Ci -p 3401 -IR localhost public
squid.cachePerf.cacheProtoStats.cacheMedianSvcTable.cacheMedianSvcEntry.cacheHttpAllSvcTime.5squid.cachePerf.cacheProtoStats.cacheMedianSvcTable.cacheMedianSvcEntry.cacheHttpAllSvcTime.5:UnknownObject Identifier

so I know the MIB is working ..anyone have any ideas what could be
going wrong ?

I am running Debian 3.0(woody) with mrtg 2.9.17-4

when I run mrtg with this config now I get:
SNMP Error:
Received SNMP response with error code
  error status: noSuchName
  index 1 (OID: 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.5)
SNMPv1_Session (remote host: "localhost" [127.0.0.1].3401)
                  community: "public"
                 request ID: 1716614992
                PDU bufsize: 8000 bytes
                    timeout: 2s
                    retries: 5
                    backoff: 1)
 at /usr/lib/perl5/SNMP_util.pm line 456
SNMPGET Problem for ifInOctets.5 ifOutOctets.5 sysUptime sysName on
public at localhost:3401
 at /usr/bin/mrtg line 1496
WARNING: Expected a number but got ''
WARNING: Expected a number but got ''

I hope to use this option with a set of MIBs for my extreme summit 48
switch too if I can get MRTG to read the MIBs ..

thanks

nate