[mrtg] Re: off subject sparkstation 5 lost passwords

Andrew Davis andrew at socallinuxsolutions.com
Thu Oct 17 21:07:38 MEST 2002

Suuuuuure it was your son. :) Come on... admit that you made a mistake
instead of blaming the innocent. ;)

Search on google for "solaris lost root password". I don't remember all
the details off hand... it's been 2 or 3 years since I encountered
this... but I know it's something along the lines of booting to the ok
prom, then copying the encrypted part from /etc/shadow for a
user/password that you do know... copying into the root section, then
logging in with a known password and changing it. This, of course,
assumes he didn't complete hose /etc/passwd & /etc/shadow, but only
mangled a few accounts.

As a last resort, go to your local Barnes & Noble and pick up "Solaris
Security" from Sun Press. They cover this scenario in detail, though
from the "my sysadmin just got fired and changed the root password
before he left and now I can't get in" concept. Was your son a bit
disgruntled? ;)

Hope this helps... (and pardon my humor... I have a sick mind)...

AD

On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 11:43, Rippe, Mark (CCI-New England) wrote:

> --

Andrew Davis, Founder
SoCalLinuxSolutions
andrew at socallinuxsolutions.com
760-525-4689

SoCalLinuxSolutions.com
Linux Consultation & Integration Services