[mrtg] cfgmaker detects 10Mbits/s but I have a 100Mbits/s NIC running on RH7.2.

Kent Ho kent at outblaze.com
Sun Oct 20 11:58:37 MEST 2002

I have a Intel EtherExpressPRO 10/100 NIC as eth0 connected to 10/100M
Switch.

I'm trying to find out why cfgmaker only detects "10.0 Mbits/s" on all
our Redhat Linux machines?  But cfgmaker detected 100Mbits/s correctly
for our FreeBSD servers connected to the same switch and with the same
hardware.

The graph becomes capped and appears as a striaght line leveled at
10.0/Mbits whenever bandwidth passes over 10Mbits/s.

I have check using mii-tools on RH7.2 Linux and on the managed switch
and verified that I have a 100Mbits/s Full Duplex link-up.

# mii-tool
eth0: negotiated 100baseTx-FD flow-control, link ok

For now I have fixed this temporarily by correcting:
<TR><TD>Max Speed:</TD>  <TD>10.0 Mbits/s</TD></TR>
<TR><TD>Max Speed:</TD>  <TD>100.0 Mbits/s</TD></TR>
in the cfg file.

Is there a way to make cfgmaker to pick up the link speed correctly on
RH linux machines or I have missed doing something first?

Please let me know what to do.

Many thanks in advance.

regards

Kent.