[mrtg] Re: Red Hat Linux 7.3

Peter Glanville peter_glanville at cuk.canon.co.uk
Mon Oct 21 10:42:09 MEST 2002

I'm running on w2k, previously on NT.
Insufficient RAM always causes trouble. So yes, check your machine.

As for Forks, I just created a number of CFG files and ran multiple
instances of MRTG. This gets around the problem of the system not able to
complete a single CFG in under the 5 mins.

Matt is correct, creating the graphs every time takes time, and here I
think that processing power is the key. Since very few of the graphs will
be viewed, go RRD, and only produce the graphs you want. This gives a
massive reduction in time taken, possibly you could go back to a single
instance of MRTG (one CFG file). However, viewing is slow, if you don't
have the processing power. Tested it with multi-processor, and it does
improve things.

Currently, I have a 450MHz processor monitoring a couple of hundred items
Monitoring with RRD is a breeze, but viewing the 60 interfaces on a stack
of switches was painful (through 14all.cgi). I have persuaded the boss to
buy me a twin 1.2Ghz, which should run that fine. Then I tried
Routers2.cgi, and its MUCH faster (not that I will stop the boss getting my
new server, of course)

But if you have the knowledge to support a Linux box, I would certainly go
that route.

Regards
Peter Glanville

                    "Matt Walkowiak"
                    <matt at inetdvd.com       To:     <mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch>
                    >                       cc:
                    Sent by:                Subject:     [mrtg] Re: Red Hat Linux 7.3
                    mrtg-bounce at list.
                    ee.ethz.ch

                    20/10/02 23:14

I've run MRTG on both Linux and NT.  The biggest hit the box takes is
creating 4 graphs per device, every 5 minutes.  If you are monitoring 1000
items, that 4000 graphs that need to be made.  the biggest thing is RAM -
make sure you computer isnt paging like crazy.  The best way to avoid this
mass graph creation is to use RRDTool.  I never have used it, but it is my
understanding that the graphs only get crated when you view them in a web
browser - so it will be slower to VIEW the graphs, but when you aren't
looking at the graphs, everything is much more happy.
As far as Linux vs NT, I think Linux has two advantages.  The first is the
use of Forks (I don't believe NT will do forks...)  Anyway, this tells MRTG
to run more than one copy of itself at the same time.  Here again, need
lots
o' Ram.  I also like Linux because everything is much easier to use - you
get better error messages in Linux so you know why a graph isn't showing
up,
plus it's a lot easier to get around in.
Also, going to Win2000 will probably help you out also.  (One more time...
get some Ram for this, too!)

Matt Walkowiak