[mrtg] Re: There is any way of trimming peaks?

Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com
Mon Oct 21 17:21:50 MEST 2002

}
}We are trying to use mrtg to watch the internal traffic. The normal
}traffic is pretty low, below 64 Kbps in the 5 min average, but we also
}have some very high peaks (notably an automatic backup at 4 a.m.),
}resulting that the daily graph looks flat for most of the time.
}
}There is any way to trim those peaks? We don´t care to know
}how high those
}are, just notice they are high, but keep focus on the normal lower
}traffic.
}

If you're using the WithPeak directive, comment it out - it
preserves peaks in the averaged out graphs. This does not sound
like it is your problem tho - you probably don't want the peaks in
your daily (five minute) graph. If you are indeed talking about the
daily graph, then a bad way to get rid of the peaks would be to
set your MaxBytes value to an artifically low number. For instance,
if your backup peaks are 5Mbytes/sec and your regular traffic is
1MBytes/sec then set
MaxBytes[target]: 3000000

Any deltas that exceed 3000000 bytes/sec will be thrown away.

IMHO this is bad because it greatly reduces the accuracy (and
therefore the usefulness) of all the graphs.

-- Type: application/ms-tnef
-- Size: 1k (1950 bytes)