[mrtg] Re: IP usage

Matt Katona mkatona at comwavz.com
Tue Oct 22 15:22:13 MEST 2002

RIPE is the EU version of Arin

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Walkowiak [mailto:matt at inetdvd.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 9:13 AM
To: mrtg at list.ee.ethz.ch
Subject: [mrtg] Re: IP usage

> Ripe asked us to make statistics showing IP address usage or amount of
> customers that use the service

Who's Ripe?  What kind of a device or service do you want to monitor?

> The statistics should show the following :
>
> - - - - the IP capacity for each area
> - - - - the IP usage for each area (min/avg/max on a
> daily/weekly/monthly)
> They said i can do that by MRTG
> How i can do that?

MRTG does indeed create historical graphs for the data you collect.  I would
suggest getting ahold of a spare computer, installing either NT/2000 or some
flavor of unix, then following the directions under the correct
"Installation Guide" for the OS you choose.

A couple of tips I can give about MRTG:
-MRTG is not magic, and won't do any work for you.  It simply takes two
numbers you give it and puts them into a graph that looks pretty and
web-a-fies it.  That's it.  The fact that it can use SNMP to get data simply
means that it knows about SNMP.  The data you want to view could be gathered
in many different ways, including running a seperate script that reads from
a .CSV file, or some other program to read a number from a sensor.
-MRTG needs to graph two things.  Always.  One or both of the numbers could
be zero, but it needs to be there.
-I have run MRTG on both Linux and Win2000, and I get pretty much the same
results both ways.  But I will say that if you already know Linux, it is a
little easier to "get around" in Linux.

Matt Walkowiak