[mrtg] Re: Using RRD

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Wed Oct 23 01:30:30 MEST 2002

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 03:54:28PM -0700, Naman Latif wrote:

> If my Linux Box running MRTG is not heavily loaded and current monitored
> devices are around 15, then does it make sense to use RRD ?

There can be many reasons to migrate to RRDtool.  Performance is just
one of them.  Have a look at all of these interesting graphs:
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/gallery/

> What will be the advantages of using RRD ?

ditto

> Am I right to understand that RRD is a replacement for rupdate ?

rupdate ?

No, it is a partial replacement for rateup.  14all is one of the many
programs that do the other half.

> If I use RRD and 14all, then MRTG would only be doing SNMP queries and
> nothing else ?

Almost nothing else.