[mrtg] Re: bits or bytes?

Jerry Heidtke jheidtke at fmlh.edu
Thu Oct 24 18:59:16 MEST 2002

By common usage,

Bytes per second = B/s, Bps, kBps, mBps, etc.
Bits per second = b/s, bps, kbps, mbps, etc.

In other words, bits, being small, are expressed in small (lower case)
letters. Bytes, being larger by nature, are expressed in large (upper case)
letters.

I don't think there is an actual documented standard for this (someone will
correct me if I am wrong), but this is the way most of the world understands
it.

Jerry