[mrtg] Intermittent Errors

Nate Burke nate at blastcomm.com
Fri Oct 25 17:35:06 MEST 2002

Greetings all,
I have been using MRTG to monitor my network traffic for many months now,
and absolutely love it.  I have just received a shipment of APC9606 web/snmp
cards for APC battery backups, and wish to use MRTG to monitor the voltages
present in the Battery units.  I have the MIB's which I wish to monitor from
the APC MIB provided with the unit.  When I first set it up in MRTG
yesterday, It would run fine the first 4 or 5 times through the cycle, then
it would start erroring out.  When I would stop and restart mrtg, it would
work for 1 or 2 cycles, then error out.  This morning, it won't run at all,
and just errors out right away.  If I use GetIf 2.2, to walk the MIB, it
retrieves the values just fine.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Nate

Here is the section of my Configuration File for the APC unit:

Target[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]:
1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.3.2.1.0&1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.3.2.2.0:public at xxx.xxx.x
xx.xxx
MaxBytes[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]: 150
Title[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]: SmartUPS 1000 RM
PageTop[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]: <H2>Input Voltage</H2>
Options[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]: gauge, nopercent, absolute
Unscaled[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]: dwmy
XSize[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]: 380
YSize[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]: 175
YLegend[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]: Input Voltage
ShortLegend[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]: Volts
Legend1[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]: Input Voltage
Legend2[xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]: Input Voltage

Here is the error message it generates:

C:\mrtg\bin>perl mrtg apc.cfg
SNMP Error:
receiving response PDU: Unknown error
SNMPv1_Session (remote host: "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx].161)
                  community: "public"
                 request ID: 820910673
                PDU bufsize: 8000 bytes
                    timeout: 2s
                    retries: 5
                    backoff: 1)
SNMPGET Problem for 1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.3.2.1.0
1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.3.2.2.0
sysUptime sysName on public at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
WARNING: Expected a number but got ''
WARNING: Expected a number but got ''