[mrtg] Re: Mib Browsers with good descriptions

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Fri Oct 25 17:56:37 MEST 2002

From: Koelstra, J. (Jan) [mailto:JKoelstra at MINSZW.NL]
>Alan,
>
>> On my Cisco 3662, I am looking for CPU util.  In past posts I have
>> found some info on cpmCPUTotal5MinRev which should work or the old
>> cpmCPUTotal5Min.  This is a new switch and has one of the latest
>< version IOS on it, so it should support the newer OID correct?
>< Well it doesn't.  I looked in the mib file itself with a text editor
>>  and found those entries, but no numbers to match them up with like
>> I get in getif.

Check your instance number.  Usually it is instance 0 on the routers, but
you never know...  I don't think I can get to a 3662 to check.  But I'd
expect it to be cpmCPUTotal5MinRev.0

>As mentioned  before in this list: there is not much use in querying the
>cpu figures for Cisco switches because the cpu is not involved in the
>handling of the traffic.

The 3662 is a router, not a switch.  CPU is significant on this box.

>> Listers have posted CPU oids for things like 6500s and 5500 lately,
>> and some of those get me numbers when I walk it, but how do I know
>> for sure?

By comparing the output of your snmpwalk with show process cpu hist

Daniel J McDonald, CCIE #2495, CNX
Lan/Wan Integrator
Austin Energy
1.512.322.6739