[mrtg] Consolidation algorithm?

Braulio José Solano Rojas braulio at bsolano.com
Mon Oct 28 22:25:08 MET 2002

Hi!

We use MRTG without rrdtool, just with rateup, to produce graphics from
several routers.  Now we would like to produce a log from the logs.  This
log should be a mini log showing stats only for months.

I know that rateup uses a consolidation algorithm to produce the logs.  Is
it possible to use that consolidation algorithm to create another log with
values by month?  What are the consolidation functions?

I am not used to network development and it is dificult to me to deduce how
are created the values in the logs.

How are calculated the values: average incoming transfer, average outgoing
transfer, maximum incoming transfer and maximum outgoing transfer?  May I
use those values to create a log file with only month values?

I've been reading trough the code, but it is dificult to me to understand
it.

Also I have tried to build rateup with Visual C++ 6.0 to run it in debugging
mode to figure out the algorithm but I have these errors:
LINK : warning LNK4098: defaultlib "LIBCMT" conflicts with use of other
libs; use /NODEFAULTLIB:library
rateup.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _gdImagePng
Debug/rateup.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals

I linked with libgd.lib from the one used to build php.  Maybe this is where
I am wrong in building.

Please, any help will be appreciated.

Best regards,

Braulio Solano Rojas