[mrtg] Re: graph spike problem - stumped.

Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com
Tue Sep 3 21:04:22 MEST 2002

}
}While this is working fine for many of the blades on many of
}the switches we have, there are a few blades which seem to be
}generating faulty results. Graphs generated for these blades
}show up as having very large (dozens or even hundreds of
}megabit swings) spikes, which end up scaling the 'real'
}results such that they cannot really be seen.
}

This sort of sounds like spikes introduced by a counter RRD data type,
although you mentioned that you don't have counter wrap problems, so
this may not be the case. Nonetheless, it may be worth your time to
experiment with changing the data type to DERIVE instead of counter to
see if it helps at all. I've been considering a blanket change from
COUNTER to DERIVE to avoid getting 'reboot-spikes' and discussed it on
the list in the following post:

http://www.ee.ethz.ch/~slist/mrtg/msg18908.html

As always, back-up your data before doing something like this.

-- Type: application/ms-tnef
-- Size: 2k (2389 bytes)