[mrtg] Problems migrating to rrd with MRTG 2.9.22

Hall J D (ISeLS) jdhall at glam.ac.uk
Thu Sep 5 14:41:09 MEST 2002

Hello All,

I've been happily running MRTG 2.9.22 with rateup for about a month now,
after successfully upgrading from 2.8.9 and now feel the need to migrate to
rrdtool for the performance benefits. To that end I've installed and
compiled RRDTOOL 1.0.39.

I've successfully created new rrdtool targets which work correctly.

My problem occurs when my current .log files get converted to rrd. When I
change my config and add in the LogFormat: rrdtool option mrtg goes off and
converts all the files and everything seems ok. Except that on all my graphs
at the time the conversion took place I get a spike in my data.

What's causing this spike? Is there anyway to avoid it?

Thanks,

Jonathan