[mrtg] Re: sub interface problem

McDonald, Dan Dan.McDonald at austinenergy.com
Mon Sep 16 13:23:36 MEST 2002

>From: Edgardo Mina [mailto:edgardo at staff.singnet.com.sg]
>
>do you know any OID or SNMP to get traffic for Sub-Interface on cisco
>routers. your help would be much appreciated.

That depends.

sub-interfaces of Frame Relay?  Supported since 11.1, If I recall correctly.
cfgmaker will assign an IfIndex and away you go.

sub-interfaces of ATM?  This one is tricky, but there are per PVC counters
from the ATM-MIB that can be used.

sub-interfaces of Ethernet for IPX traffic separation?  Nope.

sub-interfaces of Ethernet with ISL Encapsulation?  This is supported by
Cisco as of late 12.1T (Release notes say 12.1(3)T, but it didn't work right
until 12.1(5)T5 or so), and all 12.2 versions.  They are regular IfIndex
values at that point.

sub-interfaces of Ethernet with 802.1Q encapsulation.  Rumors are that this
is supported in 12.2.8T.

Can't use any of those and need a workaround?  Well, you can use CAR on a
different interface to count the packets.  It won't work on the
sub-interfaced ethernet itself, due to the construction of the mib.  But if
all of your sub-interface users have a common uplink and not a lot of
cross-traffic, you can get a general idea of traffic on them using CAR on
the uplink interface.  CAR is not for the faint of heart, so don't go this
road unless you have time to figure it out.