[mrtg] Re: 32 versus 64 bit counters

tony bourke tony at vegan.net
Mon Sep 16 23:35:57 MEST 2002

Hi Charles,

It's a very good question :)  It doesn't matter what the possible speed of
your link is, but rather the maximum speed you believe that link will
push.

If you've got a Gigabit link, but know there is little or no chance of
pushing beyond 115 Megabits per second (the maximum limit for 32-bit
counters every 5-minutes), over that or any other speed link, then 32-bit
regular counters and configurations will work fine.

However if you believe you will likely push beyond 115 Mbps, then you'll
need to either a: poll every 1 minute (for a maximum of 575 Mbps), or use
64-bit counters (for a maximum of somewhere in the Petabits per second,
the entire library of congress trasnmitted over 6,000 times in 1 second).

Unfortunately, not many devices have 64 bit counters.

Another potential solution is that some vendors provide "hi" and "low" 32
bit counters.  If you believe this is the case with your device, let me
know, I have something to help with that.

Tony

Tony Bourke				tony at vegan.net