[mrtg] Re: Newbie question

Will Saxon WillS at housing.ufl.edu
Tue Sep 17 17:35:00 MEST 2002

Jo,

There is no option about using or not using a community string. You _have_ to have one, that is how SNMP version 1 and 2c (which mrtg uses) works.

You should have an snmpd.conf file somewhere in one of your /etc directories. Mine has a line similar to:

com2sec local     localhost public

Where 'public' is the community string. This was a default or may have been created by an installation script, I don't remember offhand.

You must have an snmp daemon on each UNIX server you are interested in monitoring, and you have to set up each one to actually monitor the things you want mrtg to graph. So, not only do you have to configure MRTG, you have to configure each separate snmpd also.

SNMP is very well documented, as is MRTG (for basic configuration). You may also want to take a look at this series of articles on SNMP and MRTG on a FreeBSD system - they are a little outdated and FreeBSD centric, but the SNMP tools at least should still work the same way and the basics are all the same:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2000/07/27/Big_Scary_Daemons.html
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2000/08/10/Big_Scary_Daemons.html
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2000/09/21/Big_Scary_Daemons.html
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2000/10/05/Big_Scary_Daemons.html