[mrtg] Re: Newbie question

Will Saxon WillS at housing.ufl.edu
Tue Sep 17 19:15:50 MEST 2002

It's all in the docs, but here goes:

If you have apache installed, then you have something along the lines of /usr/local/www/data. It could be different depending on what OS you actually have and how you went about installing apache. Basically, there is a directory where your web files go. I made a directory below that called mrtg and set my mrtg config files to have that as the WorkDir, like this:

WorkDir: /usr/local/www/data/mrtg

If you are just using mrtg (which I suspect you are), then all the .png files and .html files will go into this directory automagically. Make sure you have proper permissions on the directory if you create one, so that apache can read it and mrtg can write to it.

You can view the pages then by pointing your web browser at your website like this:

http://your.website.com/mrtg/filename.html

If you are monitoring many different things (such that you have many different .html files), you might want to create an index page. I think there is a tool called indexmaker that will do this for you, but I have never used it. It should be well documented (try "man indexmaker" at your shell prompt). If you have very few things, you might want to just make a simple index page yourself and put it in the data dir so you don't have to specify /mrtg/filename.html at the end of the above URL.

Again, this is all comprehensively outlined in the various documents that come with mrtg, apache and your operating system. You should read them sometime.

-Will