[mrtg] Graphing Ethernet Interfaces

Jake Colman colman at ppllc.com
Fri Sep 20 05:17:41 MEST 2002

I'm looking for suggestions on what might be useful to graph on my various
interfaces.  I have eth0 as an external interface connected my server to the
internet via a cablemodem and eth1 as my internal interface serving my
private network.  I used cfgmaker and it generated stuff for the two
interfaces and, when pointed at the cablemodem's internal IP address, it
generated stuff for that too.

Still, I think I can do better.  I'm primarily interested in knowing how my
upload/download speeds compare over time, how much traffic is flowing across
eth0 and eth1 and at what speeds (does that last make sense?).  I'm also
prety sure that there are prettier and more effective ways to display the
graphs than what is produced by default by cfgmaker.

Any help or suggestions out there?

--
Jake Colman

Principia Partners LLC                  Phone: (201) 209-2467
Harborside Financial Center               Fax: (201) 946-0320
902 Plaza Two                          E-mail: colman at ppllc.com
Jersey City, NJ 07311                  www.principiapartners.com