[mrtg] recurring spikes in graph

Oscar Olsson Oscar.Olsson at qbranch.se
Fri Sep 20 14:24:53 MEST 2002

I have the same problem as described in the following message:

http://www.ee.ethz.ch/~slist/mrtg/msg15627.html

--<snip>--

I'm having more of the same problem with some device I'm logging (Cisco 7206
and Catalyst 2924). Sometimes with no reason a major spike is on the graphs
(and in the log). Even interfaces which are polled but are down (no link),
and therefore always return a zero, have a major spike in the graph up to 40
Mbps. I can't figure out why.

As I had to move the mrtg scripts to another machine I temporarely logged
the interface twice. The old machine used mrtg 2.9.4, the new 2.9.18pre1.
The spikes are only shown on the newest version, with 2.9.4 I've had no
problems ever.

I can't seem to figure out why, nothing has changed accept the MRTG version.
I'm going to do a test with an older version on the same devices on the same
machine and look if the machine is the problem.

Rolph

--<snip>--

However, I see this problem when accessing a Catalyst 6509, running native IOS. This always happens on all monitored ports, at 3AM. AFAIK there is no real traffic at that time. I have also upgraded the software in the Catalyst to the latest IOS version for that platform (C6SUP11).

This does not happen on all monitored devices. The follow-up post to the thread mentioned above provides some more clues to what's going on, but I haven't been able to find a fix or a confirmation from any of the developers, either here or in the changelog.

I am currently running mrtg 2.9.17.

//Oscar