[mrtg] Problem graphing Fast Etherchannels

Hart, Kevin KHart at helixtechnology.com
Fri Sep 27 17:42:09 MEST 2002

Hello,

I'm having a problem graphing Etherchannels on Cisco 6000 series switches.
The interfaces are being referenced by name and for a while things work
well.
Then after some random time period, I notice that the graphs stop collecting
data.

To test, I run mrtg on the cfg file and I see a lot of errors regarding
interfaces.
To get around this, I delete the *.ok file and then the cfg runs fine.
Looking at the old and new confcache files reveals that the (indexes?) are
changing on the Etherchannels.

>From original *.ok confcache file

communitystring at ipaddress         Name FEC-5/1-2     397

>From confcache file created after deleting the original *.ok file

communitystring at ipaddress         Name FEC-5/1-2 590

I noticed this problem started to happen after I started using SNMP V2.
Specifically, I am using V2
only on gigabit ethernet interfaces. But...I also notice that when I specify
version 2 for a couple
of specific targets in a config, all the rest of the targets in the config
are also probed using version 2.
Is this normal behavior?

I also realize that if I switch back to SNMP version 1, I'll be able to get
around the problem. But some of the
gig switch interfaces are exceeding the 115Mb limit of SNMP version 1 so I
would like to use v2 if possible
Furthermore, since the Etherchannels could, potentially, exceed the 115Mb
limit, it would be nice to use
SNMP V2 in those cases also also.

Any ideas/help would be appreciated.

Kevin