[mrtg] Re: Measuring Traffic over FXO / FXS port

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Thu Apr 3 15:09:54 MEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-03 at 04:03, Boğaç Özdöl wrote:
> Hi All ,
>
> How could I get traffic over FXS or FXO port with mrtg ?
> ifInOctets/ifOutOctets doesn't works... :)

What do you mean by traffic?  FXO and FXS don't carry bits....

If you mean you want to track the traffic generated by a voip
application feeding particular ports, well...  I did something like that
once, but the mibs are pretty nasty to work with.  I ended up using
radius accounting to get what I wanted and dumped it into a mysql
database.  Then, in mrtg I wrote a script that would query for the most
recent numbers and update it...  But it wasn't a very clean solution,
because you get all of the bits at the end of a call (e.g., a 1 hour
call has zero bits for the first 11 polling intervals, then a huge spike
on the 12th).  I ended up just counting the number of up interfaces so I
could figure out how many simultaneous calls I had in progress, and used
the database to calculate cost savings on the back-end.

In any respect, mrtg didn't really help with that application...

> Thanks ...
>

> Saygılarımla
>
> Emin Boğaç ÖZDÖL
>
> Sistem Destek Uzmani
> Pargem Bilisim Sistemleri A.S.
> Direkt Telefon: (212) 340 0 316
> Mobil Telefon : (542) 366 60 82
>
> İletişim Çözümlerinde
>     Tek numara: (212) 340 0 340
>     Tek adres: www.pargem.com.tr
>
> Prof.Dr.Bülent Tarcan Cd. No:9 Gayrettepe   İstanbul
> Faks 	: (212) 212 61 68
> Video	: (212) 336 92 78
> Pargem, bir Borusan Holding istirakidir.
>
> --
Daniel J McDonald <dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com>
Austin Energy