[mrtg] Re: Monthly & Yearly Graphs

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Wed Apr 9 16:43:15 MEST 2003

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003, Samson Martinez wrote:

> Sorry, I guess I failed to explain what I'm really trying to do. I don't
> want to keep the graphs from showing up, I want the monthly and yearly
> to be recreated from scratch, but only the monthly and yearly. This goes
> back to the fact that I failed to change the perminute option before
> making a router change a few days ago. The daily and weekly have
> recovered due to the time stamps but the monthly and yearly will take
> some time. I'd rather have these two recreated from scratch, if
> possible.

"some time" is only two hours for the monthly, and a day for the yearly.

Odds are that the monthly is done by now.  You can just delete the broken
*month.png files and *year.png files if you don't want them visible, they
will be recreated automagically.

> Is there a way to remove the Monthly & Yearly graphs, including the
> data, without impacting the Daily & Weekly? I tried removing the .png
> but since the data is still there the images get recreated at the next
> cycle.

Isn't this is what you just asked for?!?!

OK, maybe you want this:

Edit the .log files and delete everything below the timestamp of the
first known-good data.  The graphs will now show zero values for anything
earlier in time, where you've removed the data.  MRTG will fill the logs
with zeroes next time it runs.  You'll need to convert calendar date/time
to epoch-seconds in order to figure out where to snip, of course.

The historical data will be lost where you edited it, but I assume that's
what you want.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323