[mrtg] mrtg config files and interface description

Soghra Zamani zamanis at sbu.ac.uk
Thu Apr 10 16:30:46 MEST 2003

We have a number of 3com 4400, 3300 and Foundry switches, which I'm
trying to use mrtg to monitor.

Previously, people here have setup mrtg and patched the config files
to reflect the interface description/name/label... This has always
been done manually. But there seem different versions of mrtg have
slightly different config file. Therefore, we have ended up having to
keep all the old versions of the software along with their config
files.

We are trying to move away from this situation and use cfgmaker and
indexmaker to get all the relevant data from the devices themselves,
without having to manually patch the files. We want the interface
aliase/description or name to appear on each graph. I've played with
various options like -ifref and -ifdesc but have not been successful
at all. The devices I've been using are 3com 4400 and Foundry
FastIron.

Can anyone help please?

Many thanks,

Soghra Zamani