[mrtg] Clarification of 64bit Counters & Rateup

Barry_Young at interliant.com Barry_Young at interliant.com
Fri Apr 11 12:09:51 MEST 2003

I would be grateful if someone could please provide a little clarification
regarding recent updates to Rateup in respect of 64bit counters.

I am monitoring OC-3 links which I know can cause problems under the
standard mrtg/rateup implementation using 32bit counters, due to counter
wrap problems etc etc.  If memory serves me correctly this problem occurs
when traffic levels exceed 114Mbps (default 5 min polling).

But I have just realised (been asleep for a while...) that Tobi introduced
improvements to rateup around 2.9.26 or so in respect of 64bit counters.
My question therefore is: -

Would using snmp2 64bit interface counters resolve the problem in itself or
do I also need to upgrade to the latest mrtg/rateup?

Just to throw one last caveat into the equation...this is a Win32
implementation, but I think rateup problems were resolved for Win32 weren't
they?

Thanks in advance for any advice/guidance.