[mrtg] MRTG doesn't work on Redhat 9 (and 8?); SNMP bug?

SHOLAAS Margaret G Margaret.G.SHOLAAS at ris.lane.or.us
Sat Apr 12 00:07:48 MEST 2003

I've been running MRTG on Windows for a while with great success. I'm trying
to convert to Redhat Linux 9 and having problems. I don't have problems with
the same MRTG and commands on Redhat 7.3. I think the problem is SNMP.

When I run the exact same version of MRTG and the same basic cfgmaker
command, I get good stuff with the Windows and Redhat 7.3, garbage with
Redhat 9. I've tried three different versions of MRTG, including the latest,
and get the same result. When I do tcpdump on each machine to see what's
happening, network-wise, it looks like the SNMP commands may be the problem.

I'm seeing some posts in the archives that suggest others are having similar
problems with Redhat 8; I haven't found any specific fixes in the archives
yet. A colleague vaguely remembers hearing about problems with the SNMP
released with both 8 and 9. He suggested I get the latest net-snmp.

I'm running the latest SNMP available for Redhat 9 (net-snmp-5.0.6-17) on
the Redhat site (http://www.redhat.com) and that's giving me problems. The
latest on SourceForge (http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net) is 5.0.8. but so far
I haven't found it in an RPM for Redhat, and I want to use an RPM because
I'm a newbie to Linux/Redhat and am not comfortable with compiling it
myself.

My questions:

1. Does anyone know of SNMP problems in Redhat 8 and 9? If so, do you know
of any solutions?

2. Does anyone know where I can get an RPM for net-snmp later than 5.0.6,
preferably 5.0.8 (the latest)?

3. Can anyone suggest a procedure (or point me to a URL describing one) I
can use if I can't find an RPM and have to compile and install SNMP from
source files?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Margaret

Margaret Sholaas, Senior System Network Analyst
Regional Information System (a department of Lane County)
125 E. 8th Ave.
Eugene, OR 97401

EMAIL Margaret.G.SHOLAAS at RIS.Lane.OR.US
VOICE (541) 682-4565
FAX (541) 682-2345