[mrtg] Re: MRTG doesn't work on Redhat 9 (and 8?); SNMP bug?

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Sat Apr 12 01:16:14 MEST 2003

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, SHOLAAS Margaret G wrote:

> What version of SNMP are you running on your Redhat 8 and 9 machines?
>
> On my Redhat 9 machine I'm trying to use cfgmaker to create a configuration
> for monitoring a Cisco router, and cannot get it to find my interfaces by IP
> description (what I want), name, or IP address, apparently because the SNMP
> queries gathering that information are returning garbage.
>
> I think the problem is with the SNMP query itself (or how the response is
> processed by the Redhat 9 SNMP), rather than a problem with the Cisco SNMP,
> because on Redhat 7.3, the same command using the same MRTG version works
> fine:
>
> [root at myredhat73 root]# cfgmaker --ifref=descr --global "Options[_]:
> growright,bits" --global "WorkDir: /var/www/html/mrtg" public at mycisco >
> test.cfg

Here is what I just used on my 9 box and it showed the ip addresses:
/usr/bin/cfgmaker --global 'WorkDir: /var/www/html/mrtg/data' \
--global 'Options[_]: growright,bits' --ifref=eth foo_pub at foo.foobar.com

I do not remember why I used that command line any more but it was at the
top of my config file and ir does what I needed so I tried it on my
9 box it appears to be ok.

HTH,

--
.............Tom	"Nothing would please me more than being able to
tdiehl at rogueind.com	hire ten programmers and deluge the hobby market

   			We are still waiting ....