[mrtg] Simple question re: cfgmaker

CHENG, DAVID (ASI) dc4983 at sbc.com
Tue Apr 15 15:40:11 MEST 2003

Actually, I'm not certain this is related to cfgmaker.  Anyway, I use
cfgmaker with the ifref=descr option to make some quick config files.
Currently, I have about 150 devices in 65 configuration files.  Of these 65,
10 appear to have "ghost" interfaces.  What I mean by "ghost" is that there
is no entry for them in the config file, nothing there when I do an
snmpwalk, but when I run MRTG on the config file, I get an SNMP error
message.

For example, I do an snmpwalk of ifDescr, and I see 20 interfaces.  I look
through the cfgmaker-created config file, and there are 20 entries for
interfaces.  All seems good.  But MRTG seems to insist on trying to get data
from the 21st interface, and the router truthfully responds that there is no
such OID.  The error message does not seem to go away if I re-run cfgmaker
with the same command line; however, if I take the cfgmaker-created config
file and copy the relevant device information, then run MRTG on that, I
receive no error messages.

Obviously, I can work around this issue, but it's just mildly annoying, and
it would be nice to not have this issue...:)

Of the devices that I'm monitoring, it's pretty evenly split between RSMs in
a Cat5509 chassis and 7206s.  The error messages seem to occur most
frequently on the 7206s, but there are a couple of RSMs that have the same
error messages.  The IOS is the same across the board (12.2(6a) on the RSMs,
and 12.1(0.5) on the 7206s).

Any insight or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Best Regards,

David Cheng