[mrtg] FYI... update on Sonicwalls!!!

Andrew Davis andrew at socallinuxsolutions.com
Wed Apr 23 08:17:39 MEST 2003

I've posted to this list quite a few times regarding my struggles
getting stats out of my Sonicwall Pro 100. I thought I'd post some good
news.

I got the SW MIBs (http://nccomp.com/sysadmin.html) and set up MRTG. It
so happens I also set up MRTG on my Cisco routers and some other
equipment at the same time. All worked but the SW. Since everyone else
on the list also said they got nothing... I just left it alone.

Thanks to a post from someone last week, I found out about firmware
6.4.2.0. There are notes on the SW site saying it fixes some SNMP stuff
relating to the interfaces. Unfortunately, SW has a new policy starting
with firmware 6.4.x.x. You must now have a valid support contract to get
new firmwares. (My company has threatened with a lawsuit for this since
a newer firmware indicates a faulty product, and thus false advertising
among other things... specifically regarding SNMP... but enough about
this). My lawsuit threat was enough to get them to email me the latest
firmware without a support contract. (available at
http://nccomp.com/sysadmin.html).

I just installed the new firmware, rebooted my firewall, and low &
behold... 20 minutes later... my graphs are starting to populate data. I
have posted the firmware, MIBs, and my mrtg .cfg on my website at
http://nccomp.com/sysadmin.html . Feel free to download them as you
like. At this point though, please be aware that I have NOT tested the
trapping capabilities.

For those of you that may be new to MRTG and/or SNMP and look at my .cfg
as a reference, please note that I have changed all the valid domain &
IP entries to ****** and spoofed stuff like email addresses, etc as a
security precaution. Remember to change your's to match your environment
rather than try to mirror mine.
--
Andrew Davis
North County Computers