[mrtg] Spike after rebooting routers

Michael Markstaller mm at elabnet.de
Thu Apr 24 13:26:33 MEST 2003

Hi there,

I have a strange problem running MRTG against several cisco routers:
when doing a IOS-update (or only reload) I sometimes get high spikes in *some* interface graphs.
The ifIndex doesn't change and everything works fine besides from that, we're also talkking about upgrading minor release-versions without any noticeable other change in SNMP on the router. After the spike everything works fine again;
It's quite annoying because it messes up the graphs' scale und my traffic totals, and fixing the spikes in the RRDs is also a time consuming task..
Is there any known workaround out there to prevent this (besides from setting AbsMax lower), either manual in advance to a (scheduled) reload/upgrade or preferably something generic in mrtg-config (might using snmpv2c help) ?
another question: is there any other tool like killspike.pl which allows me to specify the time-period or somthing similar) where I want to kill spikes ?

some of my config: mrtg-2.9.29 / RRDtool 1.0.41 on Red Hat Linux 7.3

thanks

Michael