[mrtg] Re: Spike after rebooting routers

Makai József jozsef.makai at siemens.com
Thu Apr 24 14:50:13 MEST 2003

Hi Michael,

This phenomenon is absolutely normal.

In the router there are counters, and the mrtg checks the values in every 5
minutes.

After reading out the values the counters continues counting without zeroing
their values.

If the next readout is higher, mrtg calculates the normal difference between
the two values, and stores it.

If the next readout is lower then the previous one, that means that the
counter reached the 32 or 64 bit limit and continues counting from zero.

In this case (the current value of a counter is lower then the previous one)
mrtg takes into consideration the overflow of the counters.

(mrtg can calculate only with one overflow, so if you wanted to increase the
default 5 minutes interval, you must take this into consideration!)

After a reboot the counters are reset, and the calculated values are
practically never real values. Either lower or higher due to the above
mentioned. (The spikes, what you find strange.)

I hope this helps,

Jozsef