[mrtg] Re: submitting data daily

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Thu Apr 24 15:21:28 MEST 2003

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 02:55:22PM +0200, Bernd.Stroessenreuther at spb.de wrote:
> Hello list users,
>
> I would like to make a mrtg graph of one special value. The script to
> extract the required data out of the database needs much CPU power.
> So I thougt about running it only once a day (at 3:00 AM) and let it
> extract all the values for the past 24 hours. I would get 244 values (if
> using 5 minute time slots).
> Is it possible to get all these values into mrtg at once and let mrtg than
> generate new graphs?
>
> I'm currently not using rrdtool, and if not necessary I would avoid using
> it.

Sounds like you want another front end to rateup.  This is probably the
best approach to your problem.

Step by step:

1) find out what MRTG is telling rateup to do (how, when and why)
2) do this yourself (from your script)

Easy, no?

You could for instance write a wrapper around rateup, one that logs
the commands given to it before it starts the real rateup.  Let MRTG
run a couple of times, using different types of targets and you should
be able to figure out what all these parameters do.  When in doubt,
read the source.

HTH
Alex