[mrtg] Re: Max value for MaxBytes

Brander, Eric Eric.Brander at ACS-INC.com
Mon Apr 28 20:41:15 MEST 2003

MAxBytes is also not looking for the number polled, but the number that is
generated AFTER the math is performed.  For instance, if you polled an
interface at 12:00 AM and got a reading of 123,456,789, and 5 minutes later
polled it again and got 123,457,089, your bytes/second reading would be 1.
So all you'd need is a maxbytes of 1 in order to graph that reading.

MaxBytes is applied after the math is done.  You can verify that you have an
incorrect MaxBytes setting by looking at the .log file.  If the first line
has data but all subsequent lines are 0's, then its likely that you have a
MaxBytes setting too low.

hth

Eric Brander
ACS
Texas CHIP Account
Sr. Communications Engineer - Information Systems Department
512.336.3331
Eric dot Brander at acs-inc dot com