[mrtg] Re: monitoring of a directory for a new file

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Wed Aug 6 19:38:37 MEST 2003

Jason,

> I was wondering if anyone knows of any way in which I can monitor a
> directory on my server for the addition of a file on an hourly basis.

The easiest way that I can think of is to turn on "auditing" for the
directory (right-click, properties, security, advanced, etc), then use
"snare" to forward an email/syslog alert to whoever. Be sure to turn
on security logging so the event gets written to the security log.

You can preset snare to look specifically at the contents of the event
and key off file names, etc, if you'd like.