[mrtg] Re: MRTG graphic stoped after I correct a wrong future date and hour in a server

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Sat Aug 16 18:12:35 MEST 2003

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003, Daniel Lim-Apo wrote:

> People,
>
>  I was with an windows server with incorrect date is was
> September incorrectly.
>  I fixed it and the date now is August, but the mrtg get
> crazy.
>  Dos anybody how to fix it?

The problem is that the log file has dates that are in the future when
compared to the current record that MRTG is trying to add.

The fix depends on how badly you want to keep the historical data.

Easy:  Delete the .log and .old files, MRTG will start over as of now
but you lose all old data.

Hard:  Determine the offset in seconds for the time that your machine was
out of sync.  (How many seconds in the future was it?).  Write a script
to subtract that number from the first field of all of the entries in the
log file for the period where the machine was out of step.

Free clue:  NTP is your friend.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323      WB6RDV
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/