[mrtg] Re: Problems with MRTG

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Fri Aug 22 18:12:38 MEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 18:45, Administrator wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am running a Cisco 3500 switch which is running snmp to provide the
> graphs

Is a a 3500XL, or a 3550?  Which code tree?  Old code for the 3500XL was
notoriously bad, and you should run something rather modern (well, you
should run 12.0.5WC8 because that's the only one that isn't vulnerable
to a bunch of stuff, bu that's another story)

> for mrtg.
> Apparently the Current In / Out For my "Main Connection" does not tally with
> the total
> of all of my ports.

Maybe there is some peer to peer communication?  And you certainly have
overhead (cdp, spanning tree, vtp, dtp, etc) that is being transmitted
on all ports that will throw off your counts.  And don't forget
broadcasts...

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE 2495, CNX
Austin Energy