[mrtg] MRTG + Cisco Catalyst 5000/6000 Switch port.name

Chris Zimmerman - ANET NOC Manager chris at anet.com
Tue Dec 2 20:51:29 MET 2003

Okay, I have searched high and low about this, and I can't seem to come up
with an answer.  We are running MRTG on a RedHat v7 server.  MRTG works
perfect for graphing traffic for all of our Cisco routers, and Cisco
Catalyst 3548 switches running Cisco IOS.

Where we have a problem is with our big Catalyst 5000 and 6000 switches that
run CAT OS.  We have "set port name blah blah blah" set up for the various
ports on the switch.  However, when we try to run cfgmaker, no matter what
CLI switch parameters I use, there is no way that I can get the port name to
pull as the description/name of the interface.  Hence the config file is
very tough to follow, and the resulting graphs are nothing more than port
numbers, which is tough for us to know what graph goes it what customer.  I
am sure there is a bug, or something here I am missing.  Can someone out
there please help me.

Thanks,

Chris Zimmerman

chris at anet.com