[mrtg] Re: usage above 80 %

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Mon Dec 8 14:03:57 MET 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 06:12, avinash phogat wrote:
> hi all
>
> is there any possible way that if the usage of the link is above 80% , then
> the network excutive is intimated by mail

Yes.  In theory you can use threshholds to do that.  In practice, I've
found that MRTG makes a really great poller and a really bad notifier.
So, I use MRTG to poll the routers, bbmrtg.pl to grab the information
and throw it into Big Brother, and Big Brother to do the pages - that
allows for all of the fine-grained escalation and work-day rules I could
want.

Hammers are great tools unless you are dealing with bolts.
--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE 2495, CNX
Austin Energy