[mrtg] Finally trying to resolve this issue with negative integers.

Simon Westlake simon.westlake at bizwi.rr.com
Thu Dec 11 23:19:47 MET 2003

OK.

I really want to once and for all get this working.

Me, and many other people on this list, are trying to graph a channel on a cable modem which ranges from around -20 to +20.

MRTG with RRDTool backend graphs it fine above 0. Below 0, it displays nothing whatsoever. RRD files show 'NaN'.

I've been told MRTG is capable of producing a graph where 0 is not the lowest number on the graph. I've also been told I need to 'tune' my .rrd files in order to allow them to accept data below 0.

Is there anyone on this list that has succesfully made MRTG+RRD graph an integer below 0? If so, can you *please* tell me how you did it :)

The *one* time I even got close, I used an rrdtool tune command to alter an .rrd file. After I did this, MRTG displayed negative numbers as the 'max' 'current' etc, but the graph just drew a flatline at 0, and did not generate a new graphic with a negative below 0. For reference, if it matters, I'm using mrtg-rrd.cgi currently.