[mrtg] MRTG still can't create graphs

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Dec 12 02:46:09 MET 2003

>> Not sure what could be the common culprit on the Redhat
>platform. Are
>> you installing MRTG from source?
>Yes.
>Since I have had MRTG working on this or similar boxes in the
>past, I tried some older versions of MRTG.  2.9.17 worked.  At
>this moment, I had gd 1.8.4 installed from source, but I had
>the same issues with newer MRTGs and all versions of gd I tried.

I really think this is a libgd.a version issue, although how it is still
persisting I'm not sure.

When you recompile MRTG, it will use libgd.a (not libgd.so!) and so this is
the one that needs to be upgraded.  Make sure you don't have multiple copies
(/usr/lib/libgd.a, /usr/local/lib/libgd.a, /usr/local/src/mrtg....) of
libgd.a, and use the configure to point it at the right place.

Check your version of libgd.a with this:

strings libgd.a | grep png

If you don't get anything back, then you have the (old) GIF version of
libgd.a.  If you get back lots of lines starting 'png_' then you have the
correct PNG version of libgd.a

I had a similar problem trying to get the Perl GD.pm library working before
I found out that I had upgraded the .so shared libraries, but not the .a
static library, and each recompile of GD.pm grabbed the static library.

Steve

---
Steve Shipway: ITSS, University of Auckland
Email: s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz  Web: http://www.steveshipway.org/
** We can only discover new oceans when we have the **
** courage to lose sight of the shore.              **to lose sight of the
shore.              **

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- Size: 155 bytes