[mrtg] Unscaled/MaxBytes/AbsMax

Christopher A. Congdon ccongdon at congdonweb.com
Wed Dec 31 01:52:23 MET 2003

I think that maybe I'm a little confused by the documentation. Maybe
somebody here could help me out.

After reading the documentation for MRTG, I was under the impression
that if you issued the Unscaled command for a target, then your upper Y
limit would be that of MaxBytes. For my CPU utilization on my router,
this seems to be the case.

However, while trying to make a gigabit port on my switch provide
visually useful data, this seems to not be the case.

Here's the situation, and what I'm trying to do:

I have a server with a gig NIC on my switch. Obviously, this is a very
high MaxBytes reading. But, I'm not so interested in seeing much of the
internal LAN traffic that hits this server (which isn't much), but I'm
more interested in being able to view what it might be pushing to the
'Net (it's a WWW server). I thought maybe if I set MaxBytes for 250000
and AbsMax to 125000000 and then issuing the Unscaled command for the
target, I'd get a graph that had a Y with no more than 200Kb/s visible,
but MRTG would still accept larger numbers (which would represent a
majority of the LAN traffic).

As it is, the occasional large spikes from file transfers between the
server and local workstations, it causes all traffic where the web
server is communicating with the T1 to pretty much be invisible on the
graph. Upon further testing, I concluded that It seems to me that
setting these three options in this manner for this interface is the
same as just setting MaxBytes for 125000000 and leaving off the other
two options.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!