[mrtg] Re: MRTG Limitation

James Overbeck grendel at gmo.jp
Mon Feb 3 06:24:04 MET 2003

You would need a beastly machine to get it to work.

We originally used MRTG to monitor a growing number of Catalyst switches. As
the number of switches increased we found it was killing the machine. We
were forced to switch to Cricket. We have about the same number of switches
ourself now, about 150. Cricket is not as easy to configure but it is much
less burdensome on the machine running it.

I would say give MRTG a try, and if the machine's 15 minute load average
stays over 2 then switch to Cricket.

-james