[mrtg] Re: upgrading from 2.9.17-8 to 2.9.25.1.7.2

Grover, Ross RGrover at oldrepnatl.com
Mon Feb 3 16:05:51 MET 2003

REPOST:
-------
Jamie, I had this same problem. It seems the RPM won't work with RedHat 8.0
without a little help. I was able to find a solution however:

(The following is reposted from an earlier thread entitled "[mrtg] Re: MRTG
running, but no PNG graphs (THE FIX)"
-------------------------------
-------------------------------

I've received many e-mails from people with this same issue, looking for a
fix. I now have MRTG working on my Linux 8.0 box, and will post a
(hopefully) thorough explanation as to how I did it. Sorry if this gets a
bit wordy:

The Issue:
------------
Installing mrtg-2.9.25-1.7.2.i386.rpm on a fresh install of RedHat 8.0,
running MRTG results in the error:

gd-png:  fatal libpng error: Invalid filter type specified gd-png error:
setjmp returns error condition

This error repeats itself a few times

The Problem:
------------
I sent an e-mail to Henri Gomez (the mrtg.org web page lists him as the RPM
guy). He responded with:

---------------------
"You should grab the rpm source and rebuild it on your RH 8.0, libpng/libgd
are differents accroos RH release"
---------------------

I really wanted to find a solution that would make the RPM work, but it
appears there is none. However, a total install from source is not
necessary. It appears the problem lies mostly with the MRTG and GD programs.

The Fix:
--------
If you want to stick with RPMs, Adam P. [alp at pobox.com] says:

---------------------
"I am not on the list but I did just solve this problem...

I had installed mrtg-2.9.25-1.7.2.i386.rpm and was getting all the errors
you guys listed.  I did the LANG='en_US' thing and ended up with just a few
png related errors.

I rolled back to mrtg-2.9.17-8.i386.rpm and it is now running like a champ."
---------------------

This is probably the best thing to do if you want to stick with RPMs.
Unfortunately; I needed to run the latest and greatest version of MRTG. So
here's what I did:

I installed the newest iteration of GD from source: gd-2.0.9.tar.gz then the
newest iteration of MRTG from source (I went to the bleeding edge with a
beta, but I would assume this would work with the general deployment as
well): mrtg-2.9.27beta1.tar.gz

That's it. After this, it was smooth sailing with tha pretty graphs and all.
I'll recite the actual commands I used - beware you may want to install
yours into a different directory than I used etc:

Commands:
---------

Download GD:
http://www.boutell.com/gd/http/
gd-2.0.9.tar.gz

Put this file in a temp directory of your choice, then:

gunzip gd-2.0.9.tar.gz
tar -xvf gd-2.0.9.tar
cd gd-2.0.9
./configure
make
make install

You should now have a fresh new install of GD on your system. Now it's time
to install your choice of MRTG releases. Again, I went the beta route since
this is a test box:

Download MRTG: http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/pub/
(I went to http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/pub/beta/ and got
the mrtg-2.9.27beta1.tar.gz release)

Put this file in a temp directory of your choice, then:

gunzip mrtg-2.9.27beta1.tar.gz
tar -xvf mrtg-2.9.27beta1.tar
cd mrtg-2.9.27beta1

Configure this with your new GD install:

./configure --with-gd-lib=/usr/local/lib/ --with-gd-inc=/usr/local/bin/ make
make install

Now give it a try:

Run cfgmaker with the parameters of your choice. Probably located in:

/usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/cfgmaker

Then run indexmaker with the parameters of your choice. Probably located in:

/usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/indexmaker

Then run mrtg itself:

/usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/mrtg /etc/mrtg/mrtg.cfg

Remember, you can automate this process, and have cron run this every five
minutes by editing your /etc/crontab file to include the line:

0-59/5 * * * * root /usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/mrtg /etc/mrtg/mrtg.cfg --logging
var/log/mrtg.log

Again, your program locations may vary, but be sure to use the mrtg and gd
that we installed. Your RPM may have also loaded a copy in /usr/bin/mrtg -
but if you followed the steps above, there is a newer copy in
/usr/local/mrtg-2/bin/mrtg. Just keep this in mind.

I hope this has helped some of y'all - let me know how it works. Sorry if I
made this confusing.

Happy MRTGing,

--
Ross Grover