[mrtg] Re: Peak Traffic values

Simon White simon at mtds.com
Mon Feb 3 17:02:02 MET 2003

03-Feb-03 at 14:00, paulo.prista (paulo.prista at uol.com.br) wrote :
>   I would like to know if it is possible to measure peak
> values with MRTG.
>
>   We are experiencing some delays when using remote queries.
>
>    My intention is to see if the data needed to these queries
> takes all the bandwith avaiable or not.
>
>    As Cisco measures 5 minutes intervals, we do not have
> something like an instantaneous measure, or a peak value.

MRTG reads information given to it.

A Cisco usually keeps counters. MRTG reads the difference between two
counters at an interval of 5 minutes, and calculates the amount of bps
according to that.

Have a look at this:

WithPeak

       By default the graphs only contain the average values of
       the monitored variables - normally the transfer rates for
       incoming and outgoing traffic.  The following option
       instructs mrtg to display the peak 5 minute values in the
       [w]eekly, [m]onthly and [y]early graph. In the example we
       define the monthly and the yearly graph to contain peak as
       well as average values.

       Examples:

        WithPeak[ezwf]: ym

--
|-Simon White, Internet Services Manager, Certified Check Point CCSA.
|-MTDS  Internet, Security, Anti-Virus, Linux and Hosting Solutions.