[mrtg] Re: Monitoring Temperature

Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com Greg.Volk at edwardjones.com
Fri Feb 28 22:16:31 MET 2003

}
}Sorry for the previous mixed up post, please see below:
}
}We would like to monitor temperature in our server rack in our
}data center. We do not have any equipment that we can use for
}this. Does anyone have any suggestion for temperature
}monitoring (utilizing MRTG of course), buying some new
}hardware is an option but what??
}

If you have a cisco 7xxx nearby, those have inlet and outlet
temperature sensors in them. You can use:
http://mrtg.gvolk.com/template/host-temperature-c7xxx.template
to with cfgmaker to build a config.

Another template -
http://mrtg.gvolk.com/template/host-apc.template
will build configs for querying the temperature (and other stuff)
from an APC UPS equipped with a 9606 interface card if you have
one of those.

Depending on what kind of server you are dealing with, you
may be able to get temperature readings off the mainboard. Quite
a few manufacturers are putting temp & CPU fan speed sensors in
thier systems now. I'm not sure how common SNMP support is for this
stuff tho.

-- Type: application/ms-tnef
-- Size: 2k (2365 bytes)