[mrtg] Re: monitoring Windows NT/2000 servers

Marlo Montanaro mmontanaro at centennialcorp.com
Fri Jan 3 18:57:01 MET 2003

Sounds more like you want a tool to tell you if the server is up (i.e.,
available).  Do you care what the actual up time is?  If you are graphing
uptime, it would (theoretically) just continually rise- there is no upper
limit (well, at least if it is a Novell or Unix/Linux box :-) ) and only
return to zero upon reboot (a sawtooth waveform!)

Sounds like you want Big Brother (http://bb4.com) which runs fine on Red
Hat...

Big Brother will also allow you to monitor various services that your
Windows box may be providing (i.e., POP3, SMTP, HTTP, etc.) and let you know
if they are up and page you if they are not.

There are also 3rd party scripts you can add to Big Brother that allows it
to work with MRTG, so various statistics can be graphed also.

Just a thought...

MM