[mrtg] Re: mrtg first time installation help

Lam, Ken ken.lam at terayon.com
Thu Jan 9 07:52:02 MET 2003

Hello Brett,

>> Now I need help on how to get my MRTG running by at least running one
sample
>> config and be able to get the data/statistic from the router.
>A good place to start is to work out what OID you need to tell MRTG to
graph.
>You don't mention what vendor equipment your using, so a good place to
start
>would probably be at your vendor's website, or FTP site. Most (good)
vendor's
>release MIB's for download so you can work out what OID's your looking for,

>amongst other things. Once you work out the OID of what your looking for,
you
>can either use the accompanied "cfgmaker" (found in the "bin/" dir where
the
>"mrtg" executable is) or make your own mrtg.cfg (there are many, many
examples
>on either the MRTG pages or via Google that show what syntax is needed).
Some
>vendors (Cisco) even have their own pages on how to get MRTG working with
>their products.

We only have CISCO network equipments and most are cisco routers 2600 series
for remote sites (WAN) and some switches 4006.  But most important for me is
to learn and understand how to configure and setup one sample site graph
working via MRTG since this is my first time setting this up.  Once I got
one
working then I can work out the rest of them.  It would help if you can
explain
to me   what you mean OID and how to configure using "cfgmaker".  Are there
some examples or websites out there maybe you can share with me to help me
set it up.  With regard to MIB's, I'll check with CISCO tech support on this
for download.

Also I am wondering whether I need to do anything with apache configuration
so after I configured MRTG and how can I access to see the MRTG graph on my
machine.   Assuming I would access via the browser to be able to see it?  If
so
what http path or address do I need to specify on the browser to allow me to
see the mrtg graph.  Do I need to make some configuration changes for this
to work
or just access it via IPAddress directly (http://mymachineIPAddr)

Any advice or tips to help on this initial setup would grealy appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Ken.

> Now I need help on how to get my MRTG running by at least running one
sample
> config and be able to get the data/statistic from the router.
A good place to start is to work out what OID you need to tell MRTG to
graph.
You don't mention what vendor equipment your using, so a good place to start

would probably be at your vendor's website, or FTP site. Most (good)
vendor's
release MIB's for download so you can work out what OID's your looking for,
amongst other things. Once you work out the OID of what your looking for,
you
can either use the accompanied "cfgmaker" (found in the "bin/" dir where the

"mrtg" executable is) or make your own mrtg.cfg (there are many, many
examples
on either the MRTG pages or via Google that show what syntax is needed).
Some
vendors (Cisco) even have their own pages on how to get MRTG working with
their products.

> BTW, I have apache installed and the daemon httpd is running but not sure
> what else I need to do next...
That's fine, as you'll need httpd running in order to view your MRTG graphs
once it has collected some data from your routers/servers, etc.

Regards,
Brett Marler.