[mrtg] Re: Counter Rollovers

Jim McAtee jmcatee at mediaodyssey.com
Tue Jan 14 17:04:14 MET 2003

Thanks.  From the sounds of it, what I'm seeing then must be loss of SNMP
packets.

Does mrtg have any mechanism to deal with missing SNMP responses - such as
requerying the device?  Like I say, I only notice it when the network is
relatively busy.  The traffice is Internet traffic, though, measurable only
in the range of 200-250 kB/s on any given port (HP 2400M switch).  I can't
imagine that it's either the switch or network congestion as the cause of
the packet loss. It seems more likely that the loss is ocurring at the
machine running mrtg, which does get very busy at times (also running mySQL
and email).  Any solutions, short of moving mrtg to a different box?

Jim