[mrtg] Re: Monitoring multiple devices simultaneously

Peter Glanville peter_glanville at cuk.canon.co.uk
Tue Jan 14 18:49:22 MET 2003

>Hello to All,
>I am new to MRTG and thanks for sharing your ideas here.
>I am running MRTG-2.9.14 on my Windows 2000 workstation to monitor a
single
>Cisco device without any problem.  What I want to know is: How to
configure
>MRTG to monitor multiple devices at the same time and be able to graph
them
>separately?

You first need to create the CFG file(s) (using CFGmaker or by hand)
You then chose whether to 1)merge the files into one big file, 2)use the
INCLUDE command in a master CFG to invoke each one, 3)run multiple copies
of MRTG, or 4)use MrDaemon to pull it together.
Now your data is being gathered and graphs created.

You can use Indexmaker to put together an index page

Or you can step up to RRD to gather and store the data, and use 14all.cgi
or Routers2.cgi to create graphs and view them.

If you use Routers2, it works very well with the concept of a directory
structure, with multiple CFG files relating to devices/buildings/whatever,
grouped in relevant folders.

Have fun

Peter